Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Gateway Books/Authors

12:18 AM

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!


This week's topic is our top ten gateway books/authors. We will be listing down the books and the authors that go us into reading books and/or reading a particular genre.

Common Picks:

1. Rainbow Rowell
She was the author the got us into loving and reading more of Contemporary YA. She is also one of the authors whose books we would automatically read. Our favorite book by her is Eleanor and Park but we love her other books too. 

2. David Levithan
David Levithan was the author who got us into reading books about the LGBT community. His books aren't all about that but there are some. 

3. The Hunger Games 
When we first read The Hunger Games, we weren't really big fans of Dystopian fiction. After we read this book, we were able to appreciate it even more and started reading more of the books in that genre. 

4. Harry Potter
No explanation needed. We can't imagine life without this book!


Beryl's Picks:

5. Norwegian Wood 
This book was very honest and realistic. I was able to appreciate it a lot. I am planning to read more books like this in the future.

6. If I Stay 
This is the book that got me into reading - as in actually reading. I didn't read much before but this book definitely changed my reading life.


Audrey's Picks

7. Ender's Game/Orson Scott Card 
I'm not really a fan of sci-fi but this book made me more open to it. Ender's Game wasn't a perfect book but still good and so I do think that other books in that genre will be good too. 

8. Rick Riordan 

This is the reason why I started loving reading. I was very young when i read his books but I definitely loved them. Ever since then, i started reading more and more, even different genres. 


Kimi's Picks

9. Across The Universe 
I wasn't much of a science fiction fan until I read this book! Though I wasn't satisfied with how the trilogy ended, it's true that this book opened me to a whole new genre I've never ventured into before.

10.. Neil Gaiman
His books are just WOW. I can't stress how much they've changed my life. From Coraline to Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil's works are consistently impeccable in its eccentricity.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. While I'm not a huge fan of Rainbow Rowell, I'll have to admit she's a talented author. The Hunger Games definitely got me into reading more dystopian too. :)

    Beryl -- If I Stay wasn't a book I loved, but Where She Went was fantastic! Adam. <3

    Audrey -- I haven't read Ender's Game yet. D: But Rick Riordan. Yes. He didn't really open me up to reading, but I just adore his novels!

    Kimi -- Across the Universe. <3 This one got me into reading more space opera. I actually like the ending, though. :O And I really need to read Neil Gaiman -- especially Stardust. Loved the movie!

    Lovely picks, girls!

    Aimee @ Deadly Darlings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to read Enders Game. It is one of those books that I have been wanting to read for a while!

    Harry Potter will always be a gateway book for may people. It has been so interesting to see peoples lists... especially since even though there has been some common denominators, there has been a few curve balls in there too! :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thank you for stopping by our blog. We really appreciate it if you've taken the time to leave a comment. Though it will take some time, we will do our best to reply to each one of you. :)

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Stalk Us

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Kimi has read 3 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide