Book in Review: Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg

10:36 PM

17228280
Title: Better Off Friends
Author: Elizabeth Eulberg
Publishing Date: February 25, 2014
Publisher: Point
Rating: 5/5 stars

I'm honestly still swooning and giddy all over. It's been 2 weeks since I've finished this awesomely cute and wonderful book, yet I can't get it out of my head at all. Everyone knows best friend romances is my favorite trope but I think Better Off Friends is the best one I've read out of everything. 

I can't find any coherence in writing this review as all I am capable of doing is fangirling over how beautiful and amazing this book is to me. It made me feel so many things - genuine happiness, sadness, shock, yearning, distraught, giddiness and so much more. There are some books that resonate with you long after you finish it, and Better Off Friends is clearly an example of such. There is not a single day that I haven't thought of the wonderful friendship and love between McCallan and Levi and how these two characters made me feel so warm all over just by being themselves. There was just so much depth, character and honesty to this story, that I felt was fantastically woven together. This is the kind of book that made me want to scream and flail my arms around in joy. This is the kind of book that made me want to give everyone I see a bear hug just for the heck of it! This is the kind of book that made me want to sing at the top of my lungs and cry, and cry, and cry some more because of the overflowing joy it made me feel.

The moment McCallan and Levi meet each other in the 7th grade, you just know that these two are meant for each other. The story takes you to how their relationship develops and deepens from a bunch of 12 year old noobs simply bonding over a favorite Tv show to freshmen kids having tons of inside jokes, to growing up and drifting apart, and to finally realizing how much they mean to each other. To describe this book as a feel-good story is a HUGE understatement. I've never felt happier about a book in my entire life, and gah this book was just perfect!

Told in alternating POVs, we get a glimpse of both Levi and McCallan's thoughts. Though dual POV is one of my pet peeves, it wasn't a problem with this book as both characters have such distinct voices, that I never got confused with who was talking at the moment. The funny and very sweet commentary by an older Levi and McCallan in between the chapters is absolutely wonderful as well, and I swooned and laughed and cried because it was... Just. beautiful. I actually never wanted it to end, because I loved being in their thoughts so much and these two people were just so genuine and real and likeable that I really didn't want to say goodbye to both of them. Elizabeth did a great job at developing both the characters, starting with headstrong McCallan who never backs down without a fight, but deep inside just misses her mom so much, and sweet Levi who only wants to fit in his new school. They both progress and mature throughout the story, as they overcome their struggles in life; and in the end though they remain true to themselves, they turn out to become well rounded and mature individuals.

What was glorious as well were their families, who composed a huge chunk of the story: Levi's mom who is a great parent not just to Levi but also McCallan, who had to grow up without one;  McCallan's dad who is an equally awesome parent what with planning surprise parties and all; and McCallan's uncle Adam who has a speech disability but has the biggest and kindest heart ever. It was such a good feeling meeting all these characters and I never wiped the smile off my face the whole time.

And now the last but not the least: Levi and McCallan's relationship.Their friendship is seriously the best thing ever. I never felt it was too slow or too fast. It was so well-paced that the timing just felt right at the end. We see first how they become best friends, how they start dating other people but still put the other first, how they drift apart, how they miss each other and up to that moment when Levi meets McCallan at the park by the swing and you just know - it's time.

Have you read Better Off Friends? What did you think? :)

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Glad you enjoyed the book :) I was thinking of reading this book soon because I saw so many good reviews of this book in so many blogs. I mean, is it really that good? If so, I might want to read it :D

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thank you for stopping by our blog. We really appreciate it if you've taken the time to leave a comment. Though it will take some time, we will do our best to reply to each one of you. :)

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Stalk Us

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Kimi has read 3 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide